Academic Appeals

Academic Appeals

What can I appeal?


You can appeal an academic decision made by the University, such as the decision to terminate your course, a module fail, or a decision that’s been made by the academic misconduct or extenuating circumstances panel.


You have the right to appeal the decision so long as you do so within 15 working days of being notified of the decision.


What grounds can I appeal on at the formal stage?


  • Correct procedure was not followed which undermined the validity of the academic result or decision;
  • Prejudice or bias on the part of the markers, the Academic Misconduct Panel, the Extenuating Circumstances Panel and/or the Assessment Board affected the academic result or decision;
  • The student’s performance was adversely affected by extenuating circumstances that he/she had not previously submitted to the Extenuating Circumstances Panel and which he/she could not have reasonably been expected to submit in advance of the meeting of the Assessment Board;
  • Significant changes were made to a course without being properly communicated;
  • Alleged unfair treatment or discrimination in the assessment process which, for good reason, has not been considered previously under the Student Complaints Procedure.


IMPORTANT – Appeals submitted on the following grounds are likely to be rejected by the Appeals Panel:


  • You don’t agree with the academic judgement of the internal or external marker, or with the criteria that has been applied during the marking of your work;
  • Retrospective reporting of extenuating circumstances which you could have reasonably have been expected to submit in advance;
  • An attempt to obtain a higher award classification due to marginally missing the required mark;
  • Appeals based upon the informal assessment of your work by academic staff.


What should I do if I want to appeal?


  1. Speak to your course leader, personal tutor or module leader and ask them to go through your feedback with you. If your grade hasn’t been ratified yet, let them know if you think there’s a reason why things have gone wrong. The Assessment Board may take any extenuating circumstances and/or your level of engagement with your course into account whilst deciding whether or not to give you another opportunity to pass the assessment. You can’t submit an academic appeal against a grade which hasn’t yet been ratified.
  2. Does your appeal meet one of the grounds mentioned in the Appeals procedure? The policy is very clear that you must meet at least one of five grounds for your appeal to be considered. We are happy to answer any questions if there’s something written in the procedure that you don’t understand, but it is important that you fully understand the process and what’s required of you. Have a read of the procedure here.
  3. Gather your evidence. It’s really important that you have evidence that is relevant to the assessment period in question.
  4. Contact us to make an appointment or drop in and see us. We’ll talk you through the process and make sure you understand how to complete form. We’ll even read a draft of the appeal for you and give you some advice on how to improve it.
  5. Submit the formal stage academic appeal form to the Office of Student Appeals, Complaints and Conduct (OSACC). They will acknowledge receipt of your appeal within 5 working days. The Formal Stage Academic Appeal form can be found here.


My appeal has been rejected. What do I do next?


If you’re not happy with the outcome of your formal stage appeal, you have the right to submit a review stage appeal within 10 working days of receiving the appeal outcome letter. Your review stage appeal needs to meet at least one of the following grounds:


  • You have new information that, for good reason, could not have been provided earlier in the process;
  • There was procedural irregularity in the conduct of the formal stage;
  • There was prejudice and/or bias or the appearance of prejudice and/or bias, in the conduct of the formal stage;
  • Evidence put forward at the formal stage was not fully and properly considered.


If you’re still not happy with the outcome of your appeal at the review stage, you have the right to submit a complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) within a year of receiving the outcome letter. They will independently review all the evidence you have submitted and will request your case file from the University before making their recommendation to the University. For more information on the OIA, please click here.


Relevant links:

Academic Appeals Procedure

Academic Appeals Form (Formal Stage)

Academic Appeals Form (Review Stage)