For advice on accredited student accommodation please visit the University of Suffolk website. You can also search for accredited landlords at Suffolk Student Pad, for the password please contact the Student Centre. 



You may be exempt from paying council tax or be eligible for a discount. You can get a letter from the Student Centre which proves your student status but you'll need to wait until you've been enrolled on your course for two weeks.

Students on an apprenticeship programme are not eligible unless you're a Nursing apprentice.

You may need to provide your council with another letter to prove your student status if you move house or if you have to extend your course. Some councils may also want you to provide them with a letter each year that you're still on the course. Contact your local council for information on whether or not this affects you.


Most commonly asked questions about accommodation at the University of Suffolk


I’ve just moved into my flat, but I don’t get along with my flatmates. Can I move out?

It can be a little daunting moving away from home and being put in a flat with several different people that you don’t know. But honestly, that’s all part of the fun and experience of University life. Give it some time and get to know your new flat mates. Come up with some house rules to help you navigate life in halls and show each other some respect. More often than not, your flatmates can become a huge part of your friendship circle further down the line.

If you really are finding it difficult to live together, then it’s likely that you will want to swap rooms with someone in a different flat. Have a chat with the accommodation provider, and advertise your room through the forums on MySuffolk.


I’ve changed my mind about the flat I wanted to move into. What do I do?

If you were set to move into Athena Hall, but have changed your mind, then you need to let them know as soon as possible. Athena Hall operate a 72 hour ‘cooling off’ period. This means you can cancel your booking up to 72 hours until the 31st July, after this date the cooling off period is reduced to 24 hours. To cancel, you need to write to the Accommodation manager.

Beyond this period, you’ll need to advertise your room so that another student can take up your contract.


I’m not happy with the service provided by my accommodation provider, and I want to complain. How do I do this?

If you are unhappy or concerned about something that has happened in accommodation or the service you’ve received, then let YOUR SU know and we can work together to try and support you and find a solution.



If you live in Athena Hall and are looking to move out before the end of your contract, you will need a tenancy take-over. Otherwise, you'll be liable to pay the remainder of your rent. To advertise your room to other students, please do so via the discussion area on My Suffolk.