Learning to budget is a big part of student life.
When budgeting you should consider the following:
- Internet (if not included)
- Phone Bills
- Streaming services such as Netflix, Spotify and Now TV
- TV license
Top tips for budgeting:
- Create a spread sheet with your outgoings such as rent, food bills ect and calculate the disposable income and make a weekly expenditure budget from that.
- Withdraw cash each week for food and leave your debit card at home
- Keep receipts and document what you spend your money on, it’s easy to overspend when you don’t even realise it!
There are also many apps and tools on the internet designed to help you budget such as the UCAS Budget Calculator
Food is a big part of our lives, we form friendships through eating out and cooking meals. Food can become very expensive, so here are a few tips:
- Only buy what you need, those buy one get one free deals can be really tempting, but check that food is freezer friendly so your money doesn't go to waste.
- Shop around, there are many cheaper alternatives to the brand names, and they can taste just as good!
- Stock up on cupboard and freezer food, you never know when you’ll be stuck for cash, these staples can be a life saver!
- Make your own lunch, those lunch time meal deals soon add up!
- Make a large batch of food and freeze it for future meals, you’ll thank yourself when you're rushed off your feet with deadlines.
Things to consider:
- Saving up for a deposit on a house
- Going on holiday
- Buying a new car