



**University of Suffolk Students' Union
Student Council Agenda
December 8th , 2021**

Chair: Shannon Pilsworth

Minutes: Michelle Dack

These are the unapproved minutes and will be approved at the next council meeting – 26.01.22.

1. Welcome/ How the meeting will work

Shannon: Hello everybody, I am going to say this in advance if something goes downhill, I am sorry. This is my first student council as chair so don't expect the calibre of what it was when Alex was doing it.

Shannon: It is being recorded so anyone on Zoom, if you are not comfortable with having your face on there you can turn the camera off.

Bradley: With the owl tech, you may be on there.

Shannon: People on Zoom, keep your mic muted unless you want to speak. We will run polls during the call for you to vote on each report and motion. People that are in person, hello, raise your hand to speak so that I know it is your turn.

Shannon: You can vote, accept, or reject, or abstain.

2. Announcements

Bradley: Officer reports: So just to note that council passed a bye-law to bring in part-time officer reports, so part-time officers submit a report every term now, this is the first time we are doing it. We decided to make the part-time officers that were elected in March submit a report. Those have gone live now, there is a banner on the website. They work the same as President reports in council. If you go on the SU website, they are now live on the banner reel. You have a week to vote on them: <https://www.uosunion.org/yourvoice/2representatives/>

Darragh: Regarding liberation reports how is this working?

Bradley: The same way as restrictions work for elections, self-identify on the system as part of that liberation group and for a school officer report you have to be part of the school.

Shannon: Christmas closure – 18th Dec to 3rd of Jan and reopen on the 4th. If you need any help email: (su@uos.ac.uk)

Shannon: Shop SU.

Jessie: We are doing a shop review to give to our board of trustees, we have done a couple of social media posts, you can email us, you can come into the shop as well and FOH staff have paper you can write your feedback on.

Shannon: If you wanna go and tell them, give them your feedback.

Shannon: Business school officer deadline: Friday 5pm

3. Approval of minutes from the last meeting

Shannon: There is a poll to accept them.

Bradley: If you had read the minutes and feel they are accurate, we can vote to accept them.

Shannon: Has anyone got anything they want to say? Are we able to open up the poll so people are able to vote on that. Once the poll has gone live.

Accept = 9 (in person), 14 (Zoom) - Total = 23

Reject = 0 (in person), 0 (Zoom) - Total = 0

Abstain = 0 (in person), 2 (Zoom) - Total = 2

Total = 23 accept

4. Motions & Actions Update

Shannon: Anti-spiking motion: It was brought up last time by Alex, Alex do you want to give us an update?

Alex: Essentially the motion went through, 3 wise monkeys now booked in for Good Night Out Training on the 17th of January. Revs, Wiff Waff and Cult are all in the process of signing contracts and picking a date. We will look for another venue to take up the 5th place since Unit 17 dropped out, if anyone has any suggestions in or out of the meeting, let me know. Also, we weren't sure if it was the best use of staff time, this was under an amendment last motion, SU staff should attend, we have gone away and discussed this in the team, essentially this is Good Night Out's responsibility, we are bringing it back to council to ask what are your thoughts on that?

Darragh: My question is about Unit 17 taking up the training and how in the motion it was talked about not doing work with them if they didn't do the training, how are we reviewing that?

Jessie: We have asked for a detailed account of what the We Ware Campaign actually means, and their national office is meant to be coming back to me with what that, once we have that update, we can come back to council and see if you think that is a suitable replacement. When we get an update we can come back to you.

Shannon: Someone in the chat suggested Yates.

Action Point: Look at adding Yates to Good Night Out Training – The SU

Shannon: If no one else has anything to say on this.

Bianca: I have a little bit of a worry about Revs considering they had a big incident two weeks ago. The other places I haven't heard much about them, Revs, they threw a girl out in the cold.

Alex: We are very aware. Note your concern, just to note that they would be held to going to the training, but if you would still like us in addition to go?

Marvin: Revs is going to be releasing a statement about it.

Michelle: Can I check the result and if everyone is happy with this?

Alex: Everyone is happy with the SU not attending training for Good Night out.

Darragh: Are we able to get a register from the good night out campaign?

Bradley: They will confirm with us who has attended.

5. Election of 5th DPC member

Democratic Procedures Committee (DPC) - 1 spot left! - makes sure Council and elections run per our rules, and generally advises on improving our governance

There is full training on all these roles, you'll pick up loads of skills, and of course they count towards your Suffolk +.

Shannon: Election of the 5th DPC member, it was supposed to be me but as I am doing this, I can't do it. I believe we have a list of people who have put themselves forward for it.

Shannon: DPC Candidates:

Sarah Ruggier, Ovidiu Pruteanu, Nassar Hussain, Ruvimbo Chitagu, Muhammed Raza, Stefania Puchea, Hassan Khan

Bradley: These are the people who have put themselves forward already, people can put themselves forward now if they want to.

Shannon: If we can, could we open the voting polls for this Gergana. Anyone else want to put themselves forward for this? Nobody.

Shannon: If you haven't voted, please go ahead, you want to have a full DPC. Leave that vote going for a bit and then we will carry on.

Bradley: If you want a breakdown of results, you can email me, but Sarah Ruggier has been elected. Congrats. I will be in touch with training but welcome to the team.

6. Officer reports

a. President Education report

Alex: In the last month I have been doing some more things, so I will just go through some stuff on the manifesto. For my ready to graduate skills, we are still looking at having a week or a few events all in one week after Christmas towards the end of that term as most people are on block now, and

I'm about to have some more conversations with the Student Experience Ambassador team about recharge week as there are a lot of lessons that can be learnt from that. For a more sustainable campus, last month we have now had our Christmas market which had an impact on local sustainable businesses, and we didn't charge for anyone to come to that so that we could encourage small local businesses. We will continue to look at getting second-hand clothes. We made some posts of the outcomes from COP26 and tried to help and educate awareness. I recently met up with Emily Knock and we spoke about the university and things around sustainability and future ideas for us and things we could potentially collaborate on in the future. More mental health training for personal tutors, I have a meeting this week or next week which is reviewing personal academic coaches and how it has gone. If anyone has any feedback, I would like to hear from you.

Alex: Something that I have been working on a lot is parking. I had a 4.5 hour meeting on parking and we got a lot done and we are going to continue to work on meetings with IpServ and Estates, we have implemented some changes which I am not able to go into until we have decided on comms, there's lots to it and there will be more on that in the future.

Alex: I will take that as it for now, but won't bore you with the whole document,

Shannon: Holly has just asked if we can post Alex's email in the chat please (Alex.pres@uos.ac.uk)

Shannon: If anyone in the room has got any questions?

Robert Grey: I have got some questions in regards to recharge week, there has been a miscommunication in parts. We were told we were going to get a whole week off for lectures, essays etc, and that never came about. Teachers were like we told you at the start, but it changed. Where did this communication come from?

Alex: I have no idea where that stems from, I was in part of conversations with Georgia when it was first formed and there was never going to be a week off, maybe they mistook it for a reading week. That miscommunication is problematic which we will read into.

Shannon: Georgia has put in the chat, Bradley, would you be able to ask them to repaint their lines as it was difficult to see the bays and I ended up getting a fine.

Alex: I will take that up.

Action point: Bring up repainting bay lines with IpServ/meeting - Alex

Report Info:

Ready to Graduate Skills

- In the last council meeting I mentioned that I would be keenly watching, participating, and supporting Recharge Week to get an idea how a week of events for this manifesto point could work. Since then, we have had recharge week, in which, I learnt a lot! The Student Experience team are yet to fully review the week, though I will remain close to this when it does happen. In the meantime, I have learnt a lot from the week myself around promotion, visibility, and the timetable of the week.

More Sustainable Campus

- This last month we have been planning our Christmas Market (which by the time we have council, will have been last Thursday). Meg and I really wanted to have continued events throughout the year where possible, not just Fresher's and Re-Fresher's which was a big part of having this. We wanted to continue to support local and sustainability so did not charge businesses to attend to encourage local, small, eco and student business, whilst also providing the opportunity for attendees to get some free stuff! As part of this, I invited Zest for second-hand clothes (taking on board student feedback about the price of the more vintage items in fresher's week) and eco refills.
- We made posts about some of the outcomes of COP26 and tried educating and raising awareness around degrees warming and other issues.
- I recently met up with Emily Knock, a course rep who does a lot both inside and outside of the university around sustainability, including being the President of the Environmental Society. We had a long conversation about future ideas, goings on, tips, good companies to potentially collaborate with and about the society (which you should join, here's a link - <https://www.uosunion.org/societies/environmentalsoc/>).

More Mental Health Training for Personal Tutors

- After some more chasing, I have a date in the diary next week to discuss and review the transition to Personal Academic Coaches, and if their new training has resolved and/or made an impact on staff's awareness of mental health and services available at the university after the tough 2 years that students have faced as a result of the pandemic in particular.

Accept = 9 (In person), 13 (Zoom) - Total = 22

Reject = 0 (in person), 0 (Zoom) - Total = 0

Abstain = 0 (in person), 1 (Zoom) - Total = 1

Total = 22 accept

b. President Activities and Wellbeing report

Meg: I will take it as read but will give you a brief update. I have been working alongside the Director of Digital about the website and how user friendly it is. With regards to greenspaces, the renovations of the EAST building are in full swing and the expected time for the opening of the new health and wellbeing quarter is set to be open in April next year. With regards to the 3rd one, as mentioned in my report, both me and Alex want to have continued events and last week we had a Xmas market. Additionally, I recently attended an EDI along side the university board where I presented a few slides from NUS and gave a case study for members to discuss. Those are just the main things I have been working on, but there is further detail about the other things in my report.

Shannon: Does anyone have any questions? No.

Darragh: I wanted to ask if any bids had been accepted and if we are allowed to know that at council?

Meg: Wellbeing where we are looking at doing a coffee hour and crafts, that was successful and the other Suffolk + was successful too.

Jessie: There were other ones, but we will definitely be doing some advertising. We were successful on lots, so are very pleased.

Report info:

- Enhancing wellbeing services- I've had several meetings recently regarding mental health and wellbeing support at the university. Which have been discussing the uptake of the mental health and wellbeing services already provided to students, and how the university and the SU can work together to promote these services and looking into the ways in which we can enhance the support available. Also, in regular conversation with the director of digital here at the university about the website and how accessible it is and in particular how well seen wellbeing and mental health resources are and highlighting changes that could be made.
- Green space and secure bike storage- The renovations of the EAST building are in full swing and the expected time for the opening of the new health and wellbeing quarter is set to be open in April next year. This is very exciting and I'm looking forward to being involved with the designs of the new green spaces within and around this building. The update currently on secure bike storage is the same as last month, with that they are on order and just waiting on the delivery of these.
- Collaboration with local businesses- Recently we have been planning our Christmas market which was on the 2nd December, both me and Alex wanted to have continued events throughout the year where possible, outside of freshers and re-freshers. As part of our more sustainable manifesto points and the support for local businesses, we did not charge for stalls so to encourage local and small businesses to attend. Still continuing to work with the University on a collaborative sports vision for UOS, looking at what that means in terms of facilities and culture. As known and previously mentioned we are working with Inspire Suffolk and currently working through the logistics of this collaboration and working with the University to solve the current teething problems.

Accept = 9 (in person), 14 (Zoom) - Total = 23

Reject = 0 (in person), 0 (Zoom) Total = 0

Abstain = 0 (in person), 0 (Zoom) Total = 0

Total = 23 accept

7. Motions

Shannon: Hands up if we are good to discuss this. If people on Zoom are alright with us discussing this first, I will hand it over to Alex who can come and talk about it.

a) Changes to bye-laws – Partner Institutes

Proposer: Alex Gooch **Seconder:** Meg Wright

Alex: Apologies this came through as late notice, background, the University has increased dramatically. Just before I joined the UOS sat at around 4,000 and we are now at an overall 17,00 with just under 4,000 just in Ipswich. We have gone up a lot and there has not been a clear-cut path.

It is not as simple as Ipswich one thing and Partnerships one thing. Why it was so late is because we only had a meeting with our Trustee Board this Monday. We had to get a steer from our board before bringing it to council.

The changes to the bye-laws are:

The Union notes

- That there has been a large increase in the number of students studying for a University of Suffolk award at partner institutions over the past few years, from under 2,000 at the start of 17/18 to almost 13,000 this academic year.
- That these additional numbers have put considerable strain on Union resources
- That there are practical barriers to being able to offer full membership and parity of service to partner students, particularly those that study in locations far away from Ipswich.
- That the university distinguishes between partner students in terms of which institute (the university or the partner) is the 'lead' institute

The Unions Believes

- All students studying on a UOS award should as a baseline receive independent advice and support from SU Advice.
- Partner students should have clarity in what they can expect from the Students' Union in terms of rights and access to its services.

The Union Resolves

To pass the following bye-law, which effectively creates a category of associate membership for students studying at a partner institute where the lead institute is the partner institute:

Bye-Law 10: Associate Membership provision for Partnership Students

10.1 In accordance with the Articles of Association, this Bye-Law outlines the rights and provision of Union services for students studying on a University of Suffolk award at a Partner Institutions.

This bye-law is informed by the following principles:

10.1.1 Ensuring all students studying for a University of Suffolk award have access to independent advice from UOS Students' Union (UOS SU)

10.1.2 Ensuring clarity of approach in terms of rights and access to services of those students studying at Partnership Institutions

10.1.3 The practicality of offering services to students who are based at Partner Institutions worldwide given the inherent geographical limitations on service provision.

10.1.4 The distinction between 'Lead Institution' as the University of Suffolk and 'Lead Institution' as a Partnership Organisation as defined by the University of Suffolk

10.2 Partner students studying on courses where the Lead Institution is the University of Suffolk will have full membership of University of Suffolk Students' Union

10.2.1 Partner students studying on courses where the Partner Institution is the Lead Institution shall have **Associate membership** of the University of Suffolk Students' Union. This Associate Membership, designated 'Partner Student Associate Membership' shall have the following rights:

10.2.2 The right to access independent and impartial advice from UOS SU at the formal stage of any University of Suffolk Regulation or policy which applies to students

10.2.3 The right to take part in SU activities which take place online and for which remote access is possible

10.3 Students with **Associate Membership** shall not have the right to stand or vote in UOS SU Officer elections.

10.3.1 This bye-law should be reviewed on the following basis by Student Council and the Board of Trustees

10.3.2 Notification of a new Partnership Institution where the University of Suffolk is the Lead Partner and additionally:

10.3.3 At Student Council AGM

Alex: This is to say we can't know for a fact that each partnership institution has a way of complaining, this is problematic because if their advice dept is their course leader, they have no one independent to go to.

Here is the meaty difference in changes to our bye-laws. Bradley would you like to pitch in?

Bradley: Basically, what this motion does is create an entirely new bye-law, bye-law 10, the purpose of the bye-law is to make it clear what the partnerships get from the SU.

10.2 makes it really clear what rights to services partner students can expect. You can see clearly the big difference is around elections. For context, most of those students are students in overseas institutions. Basically, that is the core thing that this bye-law will change, it will change the access to SU services.

Darragh: Which campuses is Suffolk the lead institute for?

Bradley: I don't know off the top of my head, the students that are at a partner institute with the university the lead total 10,000, those where partner is lead about 4,000 students. Those that are not where the University is the institute are Unicaf amongst others.

Alex: Any other questions, and no question is silly.

Alice: I will assume this will be put in place for our next elections?

Alex: Work around partnerships has been going on a long time so yes that is part of the reason it is so timely. Straight after Xmas we will be talking about block grants. We need this provision in place, so we know what we are offering these partnerships.

Shannon: Someone in the chat.

Noskhare: I have a question regarding these bye-laws, the elections, if confirmed we will not be able to vote or be voted for. I don't understand that.

Bradley: That is correct that is what the proposal is suggesting. Students at sites where the lead institute is the partner institute would lose access to voting. Part of the reason is that the University makes that distinction.

Alex: If I can also add, as it currently stands the University didn't want us to have any real collaboration with partner institutes at all. We are trying to hope to grow and support the students. What I was saying is that it is also important to note that currently the University don't see partnership students as a typical student and they don't have anything down, they wanted us to stick to Ipswich. It was important to us to put something into our bye-laws for these students and as it stands, they weren't supposed to give us the data for our last elections, but we do have that so did facilitate it.

Bradley: In response to Darragh's question, those where the lead is the partner associate membership are, Suffolk and Norfolk, SCIT, North Essex Teacher Training, Unitas, ITT, Billericay Educational Consortium, those are based in the UK, Overseas, LSC Malaysia, LSC Sri Lanka, which is also Westminster college, LSC Malta, Unicaf, and Hanbridge and total just under 4,000.

Full membership, all of us, Ipswich, East Coast, Bury, LSC London & Manchester, Global Banking School London, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds, LD training.

Nosakhare: Thank you, this bye law, when is this supposed to take effect from? Does it make prior elections void? If you go to the website of the UOS it is clear that it recognises relationships between the UOS and other universities. Why would some students be disenfranchised?

Alex: Previous elections will not be void, no.

Bradley: These bye-laws come into effect once council and trustees have approved them, trustees have already approved so once council approve, they would become live. They would not affect previous elections. So if someone is an officer at Unicaf they would continue until the next officer is elected in March elections and carry on until June.

Alex: The University of Suffolk already has this distinction of different levels of associate and membership, politically from their perspective there is already this distinction, and the SU has zero provision to support these partnerships but do it anyway. The SU is struggling to get by. This is how the University and Partner Institutes classify themselves.

Accept = 9 (In person), 10 (Zoom) - Total = 19

Reject = 0 (In person), 1 (Zoom) - Total = 1

Abstain = 0 (In person), 1 (Zoom) - Total = 1

Total = 19 accept

Jessie: Question in the chat, Hollie: Can I vote again as a rep?

Alex: Yes.

Shannon: Library improvements motion.

B) Library improvements

Proposer: Darragh Briscoomb

Secunder: Connor Parish, Bianca Pintilii

Darragh: It's about the Ipswich campus library, as that is the one I have knowledge of.

Because of COVID the library reduced the opening hours and haven't moved them back to prior lockdown. There were trials, at the time that trial was held at times which were not really ideal as it was held right by the Christmas break and also the times have changed quite a lot so people have been using the library differently post COVID.

The motion is:

The Union notes

That the library does not currently meet student expectations in terms of both opening hours and number of resources available.

The university library is currently only open from 9am – 9pm on weekdays and 9am-5pm on weekends. While the Waterfront is open 24/7, this space is not as study friendly and means that students cannot access the books the library only has physical copies of.

The library lacks a wide range of books to reference. Courses such as Therapeutic Radiography have very few, if no, physical books within the library and this can result in either massive expense for the student (buying books), massive waits for the books (Interlibrary loans), or struggling to find appropriate references (using online website references, struggling to find appropriate books on the search engine).

It is noted that a previous trial of longer hours has occurred for the library, but this was pre-pandemic and only for short periods of time. The students now at the university have a different delivery of teaching, and we believe another trial for longer periods of time would be beneficial.

The Union Believes

That all students should be able to:

- Attend the library
- Access enough resources to complete their assignments to a high standard.

The current provisions provided in the library are not affective – especially on weekends – students will often have part-time jobs to help assist their studies.

The Union Resolves

The SU speak with the appropriate team to try and get another trial period, so that the University students at Suffolk can have greater access to the library. In addition, they request that the library gets allocated more money for resources, especially in courses that lack these.

Shannon: Does anyone have any questions?

Sally: Could there be more access to digital version in regards to opening times.

Darragh: That could be something the union could talk to the university about.

Alex: I think that will be under the union notes, that applies to the e-books so yes is the answer.

Bianca: I spoke with Craig at the library and they did say there were trying to get all the books in the library in e-book form in order to prepare for another lockdown. They are trying to put everything in the library as an e-book. In physical forms right now, it automatically gives you another 2 week period, there's no more fines I believe. If you forget to bring the book back, so that should also be put in e-books.

Shannon: Anyone else have any questions.

Calum Childs: What were the hours before the pandemic hit?

Darragh: 9-midnight, but that may have also been a trial, those are the hours I think it should be available, at the weekends it is currently 9-5 which isn't useful if you do anything at the weekend.

Shannon: We can now vote on this one.

Accept = 9 (In person), 10 (Zoom) - Total = 19

Reject = 0 (In person), 0 (Zoom) - Total = 0

Abstain = 0 (In person), 1 (Zoom) - Total = 1

Total = 19 Accept

8. Any Other Business

Shannon: Does anybody have anything else that they think needs bringing up?

Noskahre: Once the byelaws have been issued I have an issue with part time students again. We have been receiving our lectures and feedback from tutors without knowing our tutors. This has affected our performance. I was wondering if it is possible for the SU to look into is there a way within every module we can have a live tutor so we can interact with them?

Bradley: As an SU, we are trying to schedule a meeting with reps from Unicaf, this looks different in Ipswich, as an SU we are trying to organise a meeting with people from Unicaf, we can raise that in that meeting with them, Alex?

Alex: Yes. We can raise this with Unicaf.

Alex: As per my manifesto point ready to graduate skills, this was around skills such as making people prepared to go out in the big wide world. Personally, I didn't know much about rent, council tax etc before I moved into my flat, but if anyone else has any other life skills they want to learn about or think it will be of use to people, you can stay at the end of this meeting or email me, anything you think might be good in that week.

Sarah/Sally: wanted to say thank you very much for your confidence in voting me in everyone, I look forward to working with you all, although it is Sarah I am known as Sally.

Bradley: We did have another thing about a video or a picture?

Katie: If you wouldn't all mind putting a xmas hat on and stand at the front and throw your hat up.

Shannon: The next slide, I would like to thank everyone for coming in the room and on Zoom, it wasn't so much of a car crash as I thought it would be. To remind people the next meeting is on the 26th of January. Apart from that, I think that is it for everything.

Again, I would just like to thank everyone for coming and have a good day.

9. Date of next meeting – January 26th, 2022