SU Advice


Hello and welcome!

SU Advice provides independent, free and confidential advice and advocacy in relation to any issue affecting your student experience.

You can talk to us about anything and be confident that we're listening! We can give you guidance on the University's procedures, explore your options, and explain your rights to you as a student. If for whatever reason, we can't help you, we know someone who can!






Sometimes our studies don’t always go to plan. Whether you haven’t passed your exam, a piece of coursework or your degree, or you’re being asked to terminate your studies, or you’re unhappy with the verdict of an academic misconduct case against you or of the extenuating circumstances, there is a procedure in place for you.

What should I do if I want to appeal?

  1. Once you’ve been informed of the result, try and speak to your course leader or personal tutor. They’re best placed to ask and check that your results have been ratified and to give you feedback.
  2. Does your appeal meet one of the grounds mentioned in the Appeals procedure? The policy is very clear that you must meet at least one of five grounds for your appeal to be considered. Make sure you have a read of this.
  3. Do you have any evidence to back up your claims? Proving that you meet at least one of the grounds can only strengthen your case. If you’re unsure whether your evidence is relevant, check with us.
  4. Contact us to make an appointment or drop in and see us. We’ll talk you through the process and make sure you understand the form. We’ll even read a draft of the appeal for you and attend any panel meetings with you if you want us to.




Uni can be the best three years of your life (and they often are!) but life has ups and downs. If you’re unhappy with any aspect of your time at the University of, then your SU can assist you in making either an informal or formal complaint.

If you are being bullied or harassed by another student or member of staff, then please refer to the Dignity at Study policy. You may still have to submit a formal complaint, but this policy details what information you should provide. We advise you to try to resolve the issue informally if it is appropriate.

How can we help?

  1. Most importantly, we’ll listen. We’re your SU, and it is likely that whatever it is your complaining about will have upset you. We have your back and we have confidential and quiet space where we can chat.
  2. We’ll talk you through the Complaints procedure and Dignity at Study policy.
  3. So long as you give us all the facts, have any evidence or examples that you can draw from and you’re happy for us to do so, we’ll liase with staff on your behalf and get initial talks going.
  4. We’ll read a draft of your complaint if required.
  5. We’ll be a supporting hand at any meetings you might be asked to attend.   



Academic Misconduct

Academic Misconduct is usually taken very seriously by the University.

What constitutes academic misconduct?

1.Plagiarism - Where you have closely presented or copied someone else’s work or ideas. It’s also possible to plagiarise yourself i.e. by copying work that you have previously submitted. If in doubt, make sure you reference everything properly.

2.Collusion - This involves working with someone else both knowingly and unknowingly. If you have given an assignment that you have previously submitted or are going to submit, to a friend, because you think you are doing them a favour, you might be doing more harm than good!

3.Fabrication - Avoid making up facts and ensure that your work is evidenced.

4.Cheating – This one is pretty simple really. Don’t do it.

5.Failing to have ethnical approval – Meet deadlines for ethical approval for any research you’re conducting. Check with your course administrator.

If you are being investigated for Academic Misconduct, you will receive a letter from the University asking you to write a statement stating whether you accept or deny the allegation. You’ll also be asked if you want to attend the panel in person, but this is completely your choice. Remember it’s always best to be honest and if it did happen, try to explain why.



Extenuating Circumstances

The University defines extenuating circumstances as ‘significant personal difficulties’ that may impact upon a student’s assessment. These circumstances are usually beyond your control and include: bereavement, your health and mental health, or any unexpected accidents.

How do I submit a claim for extenuating circumstances?

The application form can be found on O.A.S.I.S on the University of Suffolk intranet site. You’ll have to submit a short statement and include evidence to support your case, and confirm what whether you’re applying for an extension (of up to 10 working days), a deferral of an assignment until a later date, or intercalation (a break of up to 1 year from your studies usually granted in exceptional circumstances).

If you are struggling or something has happened and you don't know who to talk to, what to do, or how this could affect your academic experience, then pop in and see us. We’ll explain the policy to you, and help you structure your claim with feedback.



Sexual Health

Your SU Advice service has teamed up with the Terrence Higgins Trust Ipswich to offer free condoms and C-cards for anyone under the age of 25.

Just drop in or make an appointment with the Student Advisor to register  and this will entitle you to free contraception from all C-card outlets in the UK. You can find your local C-card outlet in Suffolk here.

If you want some more information on contraception, then please follow this link.

We also offer free chlamydia tests. Find out more about STIs here.

How do I access emergency contraception in Suffolk?

If your condom broke during sex, or you have missed your contraceptive pill, or the effectiveness of your contraceptive at preventing pregnancy has been otherwise affected you may need emergency contraception. Your doctor will be able to tell you how the effectiveness of your pill can be affected, and you should always read the packet of your contraception.

Find the nearest place to get the emergency contraceptive pill, often known as the ‘Morning after pill’ here.




SU Advice offers only very general advice on housing and accommodation at this stage. If for whatever reason, we are unable to answer any specific questions on accommodation, we will sign post you to the best person or organisation to ask.

We also attend Accommodation Fairs at the University annually in December and March along with an Info zone Advisor and representatives from Property First and Fresh Student Living.



Financial Hardship

We offer general support relating to Student Finance, and budgeting. We’re usually able to call up Student Finance with you to query any issues with your application, and we can give you general advice relating to the University Bursary and Access to Learning Fund, along with budgeting tips.

If for whatever reason we’re unable to help with any specific or difficult problems you’re having, we’ll signpost you to Student Services who run a drop in on Monday and Wednesday lunch-times in the Infozone.