Health and Wellbeing

The SU Advice Centre can offer advice on a range of topics centred on your health and wellbeing, from your mental health, to safety on campus and in the surrounding area.

If something is bothering you, no matter how small you might think it is and you would like some advice or just a friendly chat with someone impartial, then drop in to your SU Advice Centre for a cup of tea. We provide a listening ear to those students who might just simply need someone to talk to.

We can also signpost to other services, such as the University Counselling Service or to external groups such as Suffolk Mind.

You may also choose to contact Student Support The Student Services team can help with finance and run weekly drop-ins on a Monday and Wednesday lunch-time. They also offer Disability support as well as run the counselling service at the University. If you are an International Student, and need some specific advice, then why not contact the team’s International officer at

You can also access support from the Chaplaincy, who can be found next to the Students’ Union. The Chaplaincy can be found on Facebook here, and on twitter here. The Multi-faith Chaplaincy team stress that they are not only there for students of faith, but all students can attend their budgeting workshops, cookery classes or pop in for a chat. You can also join the Chaplaincy team and your SU at Toasty Tuesdays, and enjoy your morning tea or coffee with some free toast. Contact or for more information.

If you're interested and would like to chat about Mental Health with other students, then feel free to join the 'Where's Your Head at' Society. More information about the society can be found here.

Registering with a GP and Dentist

If you’re new to the area (and even if you’re not), it’s really important that you register with a GP and sign up to a local dentist. Both are simple processes, and it’s much better to be prepared than to wait until you’re ill or have the toothache from hell!

If you go back home to visit away from the Uni, your Family GP can still see you as you will be classed as a temporary patient.

If you feel unwell and want advice on what to do please call NHS Direct (Tel: 111). This is a 24 hour confidential service where you can also find out about your nearest GP, pharmacist, dentist or out of hours services.

International students:

If you are an international student following a course lasting 6 months or more, you are eligible to obtain free healthcare from the NHS. If you have a vaccination history, take that too.

If you are an international student on a course lasting less than 6 months, you are only entitled to limited NHS hospital treatment. It is advisable that you take out private health care insurance, unless you are from a country with a reciprcocal health care arrangement. To find out more, please click here.

EU/EEA Students:

EU/EEA Students are entitled to free NHS treatment. You should obtain a European Health Insurance Card before you arrive in the UK.  

Prescription Costs:

If you're a student aged 19 years you are not automatically entitled to free prescriptions or dental treatment. Although you will not usually have to pay for medical treatment, there are charges for prescriptions.

However, you may be able to receive financial assistance with the cost of prescriptions by applying for help using a HC1 form.  This form is available from your GP.